Trusted by 70 Lakh StudentsInstall App
CBSE has introduced two levels of Mathematics in class 10 from session 2019-20. In March 2020 there will be two different levels of examinations for class 10 Mathematics. These are Mathematics-Basic and Mathematics-Standard. However, the syllabus and textbooks for both the levels are same but the question papers will be different. The question paper of Mathematics-Basic will be easy whereas Mathematics-Standard will be same as earlier.
Two levels of Mathematics in class 10
- The two levels of Examination will be held in the subject of Mathematics in the Board examination for Class X in the year 2020 and the same shall not be applicable to the internal assessment in class X.
- There shall not be two levels of Assessment/Examination for class IX.
- First level would be the same as the existing one, and the other would be an easier level.
- The nomenclature for the two Examinations will be; Mathematics-Standard for the existing level of examination, and Mathematics-Basic for the easier level of examination.
- The syllabus, class room teaching and internal assessment for both the levels of examination would remain the same; so that the students get an opportunity to study the whole range of top
UPES, Dehradun - Enroll Yourself for the Academic Year 2020
ics throughout the year and are able to decide upon the level of Board examination depending upon their aptitude and abilities.
- The Standard level will be meant for students who wish to opt for Mathematics at Sr. Secondary level and the Basic level would be for students not keen to pursue Mathematics at higher levels.
- A student will have the right to choose between the two levels of Examination at the time of submission of List of Candidates (LoC) by the affiliated school to the Board online.
- In case student fails at any level of Mathematics, he/she can appear at the compartment examination as per norms of the Board. The student failed in Mathematics-standard will have the option to sit in the compartmental exam of Mathematics-Basic in place of Mathematics-Standard again.
- A student who qualifies the Mathematics-Basic, shall be given an option to appear in Mathematics-Standard at the time of Compartment exams as per norms of the Board, in case he/she changes his/her mind to pursue Mathematics at Senior Secondary level.
FAQs on Two Levels of Mathematics
Q.1. What is the difference between the Standard Level and Basic Level of Mathematics in class X Board examination to be held in 2020?
Ans: The existing Mathematics examination is the Standard Level Examination. Standard-Level and Basic-level Question papers shall be based on the same syllabus. However the Standard-Level Mathematics assesses higher Mathematical abilities compared to Basic-Level. Accordingly, the difficulty level of the Mathematics – ‘Basic’ is less than that of Mathematics-‘Standard’.
Q.2. Are we increasing the burden on the child by introducing the concept of two Levels of Exams in Mathematics?
Ans: No, because the option to pick either Level is with the student. Further, the syllabus prescribed by CBSE will remain the same for both the levels.
Q.3. Will this lead to dilution of Mathematics syllabus/teaching?
Ans: No, the idea is to make the evaluation more students centric and reduce the pressure on the student who doesn’t want to pursue Mathematics after class X.
Q.4. Can a student opt for both Standard Level and Basic Level Exams?
Ans: No. There is only one option, either Mathematics-Standard or Mathematics-Basic.
Q.5. To continue Mathematics as a subject in class XI/XII and further, which Level Exam does a student need to pass?
Ans: Mathematics-Standard is to be passed at class X, for taking up Mathematics at Sr. Secondary level. Page 2 of 2
Q.6. If a student qualifies only the Mathematics-Basics in class X, can he/she opt for Mathematics in class XI/XII?
Ans: No. If he/she intends to take Mathematics in class XI/XII, he/she has to pass Mathematics-Standard.
Q.7. If a student has registered for the Basic Level Exam but wishes to appear for the Standard Level after declaration of result, can he/she do so?
Ans: Yes. He/She can appear in the Standard Level at the Compartment examination, if he/she wishes to do so after passing the Basic Mathematics Examination.
Q.8 How I can get the Sample Papers and Q.P designs of Standard Level and Basics level Mathematics papers?
Ans: Sample papers and Blue Print based on the curriculum for 2019-20 will be made available on : www.cbseacademic.nic.in., in due course of time.
Create Tests with your Name & LogoTry it Now (Free)