It is a widely acknowledged fact that research and analytical skills, ability to apply basic concepts of different subjects, solve application based problems in Mathematics and Science, comprehend and analyse written text and effective communication are the skills which ensure success in Higher Studies and Professional areas.These dimensions of 21st Century life skills will greatly assist learners in acquiring higher order thinking skills such as Problem Solving and Decision Making.
It is in this connection that the Board is planning to initiate a `Problem Solving Assessment’ (CBSE-PSA) for students of Classes IX from the second term of this session 2012-13.
The features of the ‘Problem Solving Assessment’ (CBSE-PSA) will be as follows: –
1. It will be compulsory for all students of Classes IX and carry 90 marks. There will be 60 items of MCQ type.
2. It will assess the following areas:-
- Quantitative Reasoning (found in mathematics, science and technology)
- Qualitative Reasoning (found in humanities, arts and social sciences)
- Language Conventions
There is no specific syllabus for Problem Solving Assessment (CBSE-PSA).
3. The items will incorporate aspects of 21 Century Skills (Creative Thinking, Decision Making, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Communication) that leads to success at Secondary Stage. They should be able to assess student’s ability to process, interpret and use information rather than assess student’s prior subject matter knowledge.
4. The Assessment will contain items that will assess written expression, including grammar and usage, vocabulary in context and passage-completion.
5. The test items will be so designed that they will also help in improving scores within the core school subjects as the Problem Solving Assessment test items are designed to improve generic and higher order thinking skills.
6. The items will be able to assess students ability. The test items will be so designed that they will also help in improving scores within the core school subjects as the Problem Solving Assessment test items are designed to improve the generic skills.
7. The ‘Problem Solving Assessment’ (CBSE-PSA) will be done during the month of January – February 2013 for students of Class IX. The ‘Problem Solving Assessment’ (CBSE-PSA) will be counted towards FA-4 which is 10% of total assessments of Class IX.
8. This assessment will also be carried forward towards the FA-4 in Class X. This score will be reflected in one Language( English or Hindi), Mathematics, Science and Social Science w.e.f the session 2012-2013 for Class IX and 2013 – 14 for Class X. The same score will be reflected in FA-4 for class IX and Class X.
9. The students will have the option to improve their PSA Score in Class X, as they can sit for the test with Class IX students of the Session 2013-2014 in January – February 2014. The best scores will be reflected in the final certificate in case of those applying for improvement.
10. The schools which have already planned their time table and other details regarding FA-4 will take the best scores of FA-3 and FA-4 to count towards the total 10%, now available for FA-3 and FA-4 taken together.
11. There will be no separate time tables or periods for teaching or practice of PSA in schools.
Format Class XI Development Numbers for Items and Passages for the 2 forms of the CBSE-PSA
Test Context Domain/ Item Type
|Target No. per Test Form|
No. of Items
|No. of Passages||Total No. of Items|
For details visit CBSE circular PSA
Create question paper PDF and online tests with your own name & logo in minutes.Create Now
Question Bank, Mock Tests, Exam Papers, NCERT Solutions, Sample Papers, NotesInstall Now
74 thoughts on “Problem Solving Assessment (PSA) for Class IX in the second term”
CBSE is making teachers job hard. In a over populated country like India CCE will be a Big blunder.
By adopting CCE System, Govt. is playing with the future of India. Bad results will come after some years. This System will be a flop show.
Everything has its pros and cons. Analyze the situation thoroghly and you will observe that CCE has helped much. Suicide rates due to bad marks are down by 70 %
cce has made us students to learn a lot but decreasing presure on half yearly and yearly examination days
cbse understands the presure on students & tries to decrease it
with cce we have compulsory to do the project and to give fa exam every month
cce is discriminatory and is of no use in India
As a teacher and the parent of a child, I would call CCE as a disgrace to our education system.
cbse is making systems blindly with out using their mind
PSA TEST IS ON 13TH FEB
CCE is the best type of education system which is really trying to give us a foreign type of education.CCE has helped students to decrease pressure and learn most of the things practically which is much more important than rot learning.
mithilesh kumar gave a comment that this system is a flop but mithilesh our previous education system was a big flop..
this type of education was implemented in many countries years before and they developed much more than india. But here the boring type of education was still continuing till last year………..
WHAT A DECREASING PRESSURE IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY IT WORKS!!!!!!!! THANKS CCE!!!!!!!! HATS OFF!!!!!!!
I KNOW CBSE IS A BEST SYALLABUS BUT PSA IS NOT GUD .IT IS WASTE OF TIME N MONEY
by PSA average student can’t get good marks. CBSE isn’t going in the right way.
psa will create a lot of problems for students…
think it is good in a sence. india is copying us in educational system. but it needs many improvements.
itz gr8 cbse roxxx.!!!whooo!! CCE ur gudd
it puts a lot of burden to children
CCE is somewhat o.k . but the idea of PSA is creating brden for us . I don’t think we would gt a good score without sample papers………………………………
psa is a bain twister machine !!!!!!!!!!! try to keep out of it
CBSE creating hurdles in the school eduction. People working at the direction of ministry of eduction are thought less. They are a failure in understanding the mindset of the students and the system of eduction. They are adopting the measures to waste the time and money of the students, parents and teachers. It will over durden the minds of the students and will create a chaos in education. It will not be benefitical for the country.
It’s good they are thinking about our future.
no its try to decrease our pressure but its simply disgraceful wat’s d need of psa it’s wastage of time
seriously it’s a pressure on each and every child !!
all of u r absolutely CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think this is really going to be very hard for the students to cover both psa ans SA2 portions. this is not really good and they are giving too much of pressure on us. i guess they think that we are robots
It is a good step taken by cbse. But need a lot of cooperation from the school.
Students can use their IQ.It is difficult to find out the PSA easily.NET is not simplest way.
It is a nice step taken by CBSE .It can develop the IQ of students.But need a hearty
cooperation the school authority.NET is not a simplest way to get PSA.
its only over burdening the teachers and students as well…. it would be difficult for the students to cover their syllabus… only waste of time
it will a very big pressure for all children.. and it’s the waste of time . students can’t cover the portions for psa.. psa is very cruality to the students…
it is making the job of students much hard to complete the portion of psa
This will be good for students because by this exam they will how to make best use of their brain…………
cce is already a burden for we students ..now why this PSA???
PSA test should be held after the exam of SA-2, as a result student will feel relax and they can give their best perfomance in PSA and SA-2
sahi hai yr
I KNOW CBSE IS A BEST SYLLABUS BUT PSA IS NOT GOOD
CCE is just a burden on students,it would be difficult for the children to cover the syllabus of both SA-2 and PSA. Children are wasting time in making projects everyday, despite studying.
PSA IS GOOD FOR STUDENTS THIMKING SKILLS.
KAMLA NEHRU SCHOOL
These are schools not pressure cookers :
These FAs, only 2 examinations rather than 3, PSA ar roasting us like chicken :
aa kis ne banaye a cbse study jabak pagal karte holidays 10 hundiya ne kam saal vala das dinde ne hun dasso
sahi gal a y
u r right
cbse is making systems blindly !
how can one manage to prepare for psa and at the same time sa-2!
there should be classes for psa
CBSE is not helping the students by doing this but just putting additional pressure on them. They are making life miserable for not only the students in India but also for the students studing elsewhere in the world.
please send me psa sampal paper for class 9 another practic paper
my email adderas is- [email protected]
SA 2 and PSA have the same syllabus…it will be a 2 in 1 study
ya friends u are right psa is a burden for us
why the hell are they introducing new laws when we are studying?why not some other time ?
i dont understand this !!! already there is a lot of burden of SA-2 exams and now this PSA is also added…just total waste of time and everything related to studies !! it is of no use but just a burden on students !!!
jayada padhna seath ke liye kharab hota hai
aare yaar pagal ho kya???? kitna study karna hai hame aur
Yes, Its waste of time. There is SA2 and now PSA . We have one mind we are not dual core computers………
I think we should prepare with a positive thinking so that it would help us in many tough entrance examinations…..
this is a good suggestion.the institution should accept it.It should arrange for regular psa classes
u r a fool if u like this psa
The whole idea of revamping the CBSE curriculum was to reduce pressure on students. Instead the burden has increased on students, teachers and Parents. In the previous system the students worried only in the 10th std. Now the pressure starts from 9th and doesn’t end till the 12 th std. Wonder how Mr. Sibal thinks that the pressure on students has decreased? They are playing with the the future of lakhs of students.
why cbse is taking wrong decisions of this psa exam why do they want the childrean 2 fail or what they do not know the pattern also cbse is a boon 2 child
can anyone say me what type of questions were asked fr me the exaams are tmrw 🙁
psa is problem
its jst a wast of time and burden on students finals are coming and we have to waste our time on psa now!!!! but why???
Nooo, Its very useful in manufacturing DONKEYS
are ye ye faltu ho rhe h…
icrsng pressure..fa4 wer okay
It seems that CBSE is trying to ease the pressure of curriculum from the teachers and the syllabus setters. The best scapegoat for the purpose are the students, who are also victimized in the name of educational reforms. HRD ministry should consider this and make the curriculum more effective with quality. These terms SA or PSA only haunts them.
who told PSA AND SA-2 have same syllabus???????
Please Don’t support cbse too much……………..
WANT TO GET A MANNUAL FOR PSA
Due introduction of cce and PSA the educational prkcess has got cofused and conflict in both teachers and students mind, CBSE HAS MADE STUDENTS EPERIMENTAL ANIMALS, no out put, lowering eductional standard, it is asoptiong a edu, system rejected by U S A long back
CCE SHOULD BE REOMOVED!!!! PLEASE LET US FOCUS ON SA2