MATHEMATICS (Code No 041)
The Syllabus in the subject of Mathematics has undergone changes from time to time in accordance with growth of the subject and emerging needs of the society. Senior Secondary stage is a launching stage from where the students go either for higher academic education in Mathematics or for professional courses like engineering, physical and Bioscience, commerce or computer applications.
The present revised syllabus has been designed in accordance with National Curriculum Frame work 2005 and as per guidelines given in Focus Group on Teaching of Mathematics 2005 which is to meet the emerging needs of all categories of students. Motivating the topics from real life situations and other subject areas, greater emphasis has been laid on application of various concepts.
The broad objectives of teaching Mathematics at senior school stage intend to help the pupil:
- to acquire knowledge and critical understanding, particularly by way of motivation and visualization, of basic concepts, terms, principles, symbols and mastery of underlying
- processes and skills.
- to feel the flow of reasons while proving a result or solving a problem.
- to apply the knowledge and skills acquired to solve problems and wherever possible, by more than one method.
- to develop positive attitude to think, analyze and articulate logically.
- to develop interest in the subject by participating in related competitions.
- to acquaint students with different aspects of mathematics used in daily life.
- to develop an interest in students to study mathematics as a discipline.
- to develop awareness of the need for national integration, protection of environment, observance of small family norms, removal of social barriers, elimination of sex biases.
- to develop reverence and respect towards great Mathematicians for their contributions to the field of Mathematics.