CBSE class 9 Home Science syllabus, question papers, online tests and important questions as per CBSE syllabus. Notes, test papers and school exam question papers with solutions. Topics included are Concept and Scope of Home Science Education and Recent Trends, Human Growth and Development, Family-A Unit of Society, Food, Nutrition and Health, Fibre and Fabric, Resource Management, Community Development.
First Term (3 Hours)
Unit I: Concept and Scope of Home Science Education and Recent Trends (05 periods)
a) Introduction to five streams of Home Science.
b) Relevance of study of Home Science and career options.
c) Recent trends
Unit II: Human Growth and Development (10 periods)
a) Concept of growth and development
b) Principles of growth and development
Unit III: Family - A Unit of Society (17 periods)
a) Concept and types of family
b) Role of family in:
c) Influence of various factors on a family: Globalisation, urbanisation, migration, technologyand media.
Unit IV: Food, Nutrition and Health (25 periods)
a) Definition of food nutrition, nutrient, balanced diet and health (WHO)
b) Food and its functions (physiological, social and psychological)
c) Relationship of food and health
d) Eating disorders: Special emphasis on lifestyle problems- Anorexia,bulimia,obesity and theirconsequences.
Unit V: Fibre and Fabric (20periods)
a) Definition of fibre and yarn.
b) Classification of fibre on the basis of origin and length.
c) Characteristics of fibres- feel, appearance, colour fastness, length, strength, absorbency, shrinkage, elasticity, effect of heat and sunlight.
d) Methods of construction of fabrics -brief description of weaving, knitting and felting.
Unit VI: Resource Management; Community Development (13 (10+3) periods)
a) Optimum use of resources; water and electricity.
b) Waste management - need to refuse, reduce, reuse, repair and recycle wastes.
c) Proper disposal of kitchen wastes.
d) Schemes and Programmes for Community development: Objectives and Provision of ICD'sSABLA JAN DHAN YOJNA.
PRACTICAL (20 periods)
1. Observe and analyse the use of technology in your family and discuss with elders the alternatives informer time.
2. Record the daily expenses of your family for a week. Family size. Suggest ways to reduce unnecessaryexpenditures.
3. Identification and use of kitchen tools and at least any five e.g. Refrigerator cooling Gas Mixer Grinder Microwave, Smokeless Chullah, Pressure Cooker etc.
4. Weights and Measures: Equivalents/conversions of Ounce, Gram, cup, teaspoon, tablespoon. How to usea kitchen weighing scale.
5. Identification of fruits, vegetables, spices, oils, sugars, cereals and lentils.
6. Prepare sandwiches (at least 2 varieties).
7. Collection and Identification of fabrics- physical and burning tests.
8. Take a case study of a house for disposal of kitchen wastes and encourage segregation of biodegradableand non degradable wastes, through creating slogans / posters etc.
9. File work
10. Viva Voce
Second term (3 Hours)
Unit VII: Food Groups and Nutrients (18 Periods)
a) Basic food groups and their functions
b) Sources and functions of nutrients- Proteins, Carbohydrates , Fats, Vitamins (A,B,C,D,E) and Minerals (Calcium, Iron and Iodine ) & water.
Unit VIII: Scientific Methods of Food Preparation (18 Periods)
a) Conservation and enhancement of nutrients while preparing and cooking food.
b) Brief description of methods of cooking: advantages, disadvantages, suitability for foodseffect on nutrients (boiling, direct steaming,pressure-cooking, roasting, baking, shallow anddeep-frying, solar cooking, microwave cooking, induction cooking)
Unit IX: Elements of Art, Principle of Design and their Application (16 Periods)
a) Elements of art- line, colour, texture and shape
b) Principles of design - Balance, harmony, rythum and emphasis.
c) Application of elements of art and desiging.
Unit X: Consumer Education; Communication (12 Periods)
a) Definition of a consumer.
b) Problems faced by consumers.
c) Consumer rights and responsibilities
ii) Ways to make communication effective
Unit XI: Selection of Fabric and Apparel (14 Periods)
a) Characteristics of fabric (Cotton, Wool, Silk, Nylon, Rayon, Blended fibres, Spandex)-drape,warmness/colness, wrinkle resistance, wasting etc.
b) Factors affecting selection of fabric: age, purpose occupation, occasion, fashion, figure,climate, comfort and cost.
Unit XII: Measures of Safety and Management of Emergencies (12 Periods)
a) Measures of safety against burns, electric shock, and food poisoning.
b) Management of emergencies first aid for cuts, fractures, burns, electric shock, poisoning andbites (snake, dog)
PRACTICAL (20 Periods)
1. Typepr 6 from term |
2. Prepare snacks /dishes using different (atleast three) methods of cooking. Evaluate and record taste,texture and colour of prepared dishes/snacks.
3. Prepare an article using elements of art.
4. Prepare and present a skit on any social issue.
5. Evaluate suitability of given fabric, based on factors affecting selection.
6. Practice giving first aid for cuts, burns, bites, fractures and electric shocks.
7. Practice dressings for wounds on hand, elbow, finger, wrist and ankle.
8. File work
9. Viva Voce
Create papers in minutes
Print with your name & Logo
Download as PDF
3 Lakhs+ Questions
Based on CBSE Blueprint
Best fit for Schools & Tutors
No software required, no contract to sign. Simply apply as teacher, take eligibility test and start working with us. Required desktop or laptop with internet connection