Download CBSE class 11 English Elective CBSE study material in PDF format. MyCBSEguide provides solved papers, board question papers, revision notes and NCERT solutions for CBSE class 11 English Elective CBSE. The topics included are Language Skills Book - Class XI English Elective CBSE published by Central Board of SecondaryEducation, Delhi, Literature Reader - Class XI English Elective CBSE published by Central Board of Secondary Education,Delhi, The Extended Reading Texts: (either one) Author: The Canterville Ghost (unabridged - 1906 Edition) Oscar Wilde, Up from Slavery (unabridged - 2000 Edition) Booker T. Washington.
SECTION - A
Advanced Reading Skills (45 Periods)
MCQs, very short answer and short answer questions: to test comprehension, analysis, inference, evaluation and literary appreciation
1. 450-500 words in length for note-making and summarising;
2. 400-450 words in length (comprehension and vocabulary).
The passages or poems could be of any of the following types:
a) Factual passages, e.g., instructions, descriptions, reports.
b) Discursive passages involving opinion, e.g., argumentative, reflective persuasive, etc.
c) Literary texts, e.g., poems, extracts from fiction, biography, autobiography, travelogue, etc.
Note: In the case of a poem, the text may be shorter than 200 words or 20-24 lines.
SECTION - B
Writing Skills and Grammar (60 Periods)
This section will include writing tasks as indicated below:
3. Short Answer Questions: Messages, notices, e-mails (formal) and description of people.
Note: Though e-mail is included as one of the writing tasks, it is suggested that it may be tested as apart of internal or formative assessment.
4. Long Answer Question: Based on a verbal or visual input:
a) Official letter for making inquiries, suggesting changes, registering complaints, asking for and giving information, placing orders and replies.
b) Letters to the editor on various social, national and international issues.
5. Very Long Answer Question: Sustained writing tasks such as writing a speech, an article for a magazine or report based on a verbal or a visual input.
A variety of questions through MCQs and Very Short Answer type questions may be asked to test grammar items in context (not as isolated sentences).Though only modals, determiners, voice and tense forms are being dealt with in Class XI, other grammar items such as prepositions, verb forms, connectors which have been learnt earlier would also be included.
- Drafting questions/questionnaires based on verbal/visual input
- Composing a dialogue based on the given input
- Recognizing consonant and vowel values in pronunciation/ sentence and word stress
- Correction of errors in sentences
SECTION - C
LITERATURE: Textbooks and Long Reading Texts (70 Periods)
Questions are asked to test local and global comprehension involving interpretative, inferential, evaluative and extra polatory skills.
- Very Short Answer Questions: Any two out of three extracts based on different poems to test theme, setting and literary devices.
- Short Answer Questions: Based on different prose prose / drama / poetry / peices to test Local and Global comprehension of ideas and language.
- Long Answer Question: Based on prose or play to test comprehension of characters, actions and plot appreciation of literary conventions and reasoning.