CBSE Syllabus for Class 11 English Core 2019-20 contains all the topics of this session. myCBSEguide provides you latest Syllabus for Class 11 English Core in PDF format for free download. The most important subject that a person can learn in school. Without knowing proper English, a person will not be able to communicate effectively with the English speaking nation. English is the language used everywhere. Almost everything written on the Internet is in English to attract more visitors. Student can Download Latest CBSE Syllabus for class 11 in PDF format is now available in myCBSEguide mobile app. The curriculum for March 2020 exams is designed by CBSE, New Delhi as per NCERT textbooks for the session 2019-20.
CBSE Syllabus for class 11 English Core 2019-20
CBSE Syllabus of Class 11 English Core – in PDF
READING COMPREHENSION (45 Periods)
There shall be two unseen passages (including poems) with a variety of questions like Objective Type Questions, Short Answer Questions and Multiple Choice Questions, including 04 marks for vocabulary such as word formation and inferring meaning.
Multiple Choice Questions (1××6=6marks), Objective Type Questions ( 1X6= 6marks), 01 Short Answer Question (3X1=3marks), 01 Long Answer Question (5X1=5marks) The range of the two passages including a poem or a stanza, should be 900-1000 words as per the following details:
- The passage of 550-600 words in length will be used for note-making and summarizing.
- The passage of 350-400 words in length will be used to test comprehension, interpretation and inference.
- An unseen poem of 28-35 lines to test comprehension, interpretation and inference.
The passages as given above could be of any one of the following types:
Factual passages, e.g., illustrations, description, reports / Discursive passages involving opinion, e.g., argumentative, persuasive/Literary passages e.g. extracts from fiction, biography, autobiography, travelogue, etc. In the case of a poem, the text may be shorter than the prescribed word limit.
SECTION B (30 Marks)
WRITING SKILLS AND GRAMMAR (60 Periods)
- One Short Answer Question: Based on notice/ poster/ advertisement- 4 Marks
- Two Long Answer Questions: Letters based on verbal/visual input. – (6X2=12 Marks)
It would cover all types of letters. Letter types may include:
- business or official letters (for making inquiries, registering complaints, asking for and giving information, placing orders and sending replies)
- letters to the editor (giving suggestions/opinions on an issue)
- application for a job with a bio-data or résumé
- letter to the school or college authorities, regarding admissions, school issues, requirements/suitability of courses, etc.
- Very Long Answer Question: Composition in the form of article/speech/report writing or a narrative- 8 Marks
GRAMMAR ( 6 Objective Type Questions)
Different grammatical structures in meaningful contexts will be tested. Item types will include gap-filling, sentence reordering, dialogue completion and sentence transformation. The grammar syllabus will include determiners, tenses, clauses, modals and Change of Voice. These grammar areas will be tested through 6 objective type questions on the following:
A. Error Correction, editing tasks
B. Reordering of sentences,
C. Transformation of sentences
SECTION C (30 Marks)
LITERATURE (70 Periods)
Questions from the prescribed texts to test comprehension at different levels, like literal, inferential and evaluative will be asked.
- Two Objective Type Questions out of three – Based on an extract from poetry to test reference to context comprehension and appreciation. – (1X2=2 Marks)
- Five Short Answer Questions out of six (3 questions should be from Hornbill) – Based on prose, poetry and plays from both the texts. (2X5=10 marks)
- One Long Answer Question out of two from Hornbill (to be answered in120-150 words) Based on prescribed texts to test global comprehension and extrapolation beyond the texts. (6 Marks)
- One Long Answer Questions out of two from Snapshots (to be answered in120-150 words) -Based on theme, plot, incidents or events to test global comprehension and extrapolation beyond the texts. (6 Marks)
- One Long Answer Question out of two from Hornbill (to be answered in120-150 words)-Based on understanding appreciation, analysis and interpretation of the characters/events/episodes/incidents .(6 Marks)
- Hornbill: Textbook published by NCERT, New Delhi
- Snapshots: Supplementary Reader published by NCERT, New Delhi.
Assessment of Listening and Speaking Skills (45 Periods)
Assessment of Listening and Speaking Skills will be for 20 marks. It is recommended that listening and speaking skills should be regularly practiced in the class.
Question Paper Design 2019-20
English CORE XI (Code No.301) (Marks – 80+20=100)
Question Paper Design 2019-20
Conceptual understanding, decoding, Analyzing, inferring, interpreting, appreciating, literary, conventions and vocabulary, summarizing and using appropriate format/s
Objective Type Questions 6 MCQs 6
Short Answer Question 1X3=3
Long Answer Question 1X5=5
Writing Skill and Grammer
Reasoning, appropriacy of style and tone, using and tone, using appropriate format and fluency, inference, analysis, evaluation and creativity
Objective Type Question (1X6=6)
Short Answer Question (1X4=4)
Long Answer Question (2X6=12)
Literature Textbook and
Supplementary Reading Text
Recalling, reasoning, appreciating literary convention, inference, analysis, creativity with fluency
Objective Type Question (2X1=2)
Short Answer Question (5X2=10)
Long Answer Question (3X6=18)
Assessment of Listening and Speaking Skills
Download CBSE Syllabus of Class 11th
- Business studies
- English core
- Hindi core
- Political science
- Home science
Create question paper PDF and online tests with your own name & logo in minutes.Create Now
Question Bank, Mock Tests, Exam Papers, NCERT Solutions, Sample Papers, NotesInstall Now