Download CBSE class 12 English Core study material in PDF format. MyCBSEguide provides solved papers, board question papers, revision notes and NCERT solutions for CBSE class 12 English Core. The topics included are Flamingo: The last lesson, Lost Spring, Deep Water, Rattrap, Indigo, Going Places. Poem: My Mother at sixty six, An Elementary school Classroom in a Slum, Keeping Quite, A thing of beauty, Aunt Jennifer's Tiger. Vistas: The Tiger King, The Enemy, Should Wizard Hit Mommy, On the Face of it, Evan Tires O' Level, Memories of the Childhood. Noval: The invisible man
SECTION – A
READING COMPREHENSION (30 Marks)
Reading Unseen Passages and Note making
Two unseen passages with a variety of very short answer / short answer or MCQ type questions to test comprehension, interpretation and inference. Vocabulary such as word formation and inference of meaning will also be tested.
The total length of the two passages will be between 1100 - 1200 words. The passage will include two of the following:
a) Factual passages, e.g., instructions, descriptions, reports.
b) Descriptive passages involving opinion, e.g., argumentative, persuasive or interpretative text.
c) Literary passages, e.g., extract from fiction, drama, poetry, essay or biography. A poem could be of 28-35 lines.
- The passages can be literary, factual or discursive to test comprehensions. The length of one passage should be between 600-700 words.
- A third passage of 400-500 words for note-making and abstraction.
WRITING SKILLS (30 Marks)
- Short Answer Questions, e.g., advertisement and notices, designing or drafting posters, writing formal and informal invitations and replies.
- Long Answer Questions: Letters based on verbal / visual input.
Letter types include
- Business or official letters (for making enquiries, registering complaints, asking for and giving information, placing orders and sending replies)
- Letters to the editor (giving suggestions or opinion on issues of public interest)
- Application for a job
Very Long Answer Questions: Two compositions based on visual and/or verbal Input may be descriptive or argumentative in nature such as an article, a debate or a speech or a report.
LITERATURE TEXTBOOKS AND LONG READING TEXT (40 Marks)
Flamingo and Vistas
- Very Short Answer Questions - Based on an extract from poetry to test comprehension and appreciation.
- Short Answer Questions - Based on prose / drama / poetry from both the texts.
- Long Answer Question - Based on texts to test global comprehension and extrapolation beyond the texts to bring out the key messages and values.
- Long Answer Question - Based on texts to test global comprehension along with analysis and extrapolation.
- Long Answer Question - Based on theme, plot and incidents from the prescribed novels.
- Long Answer Question - Based on understanding appreciation, analysis and interpretation of the character sketch.
1. Flamingo: English Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi
2. Vistas: Supplementary Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, NewDelhi
3. Extended Reading Text/Novel (either one) Author
i) The Invisible Man (unabridged) H.G. Wells
ii) Silas Marner (unabridged) George Eliot