CBSE Helpline : Frequently Asked Questions

Q.1: Is it possible for a student who has failed in Science stream in Class XII to change subjects to pass at subsequent examination?
Ans.: Yes, but with prior permission of the Board

Q2: What is the eligibility criteria for a student to appear as a private candidate in Board examination?
Ans.: The Board prescribes following conditions under which a candidate can appear privately: –
Failed candidates
Teachers serving in educational institutions
Women candidates who are bonafide residents of NCT of Delhi and
Physically handicapped students

Q.3: I appeared in the compartment examination in July-August, but failed again, do I now have to re-appear in all subjects again?
Ans.: The Board gives five chances to clear the compartment examination.  The first examination is held in July-August followed by second chance in March-April and the
third chance in July-August and so on.  Unsuccessful candidates after these five attempts are required to appear afresh in all subjects there on.

Q.4: I wish to improve my performance in Chemistry and Maths in class XII.  Is it possible and how?
Ans.:  A candidate who has passed Class  XII examination of the Board may re-appear for improvement of performance in one or more subjects in the main examination in the succeeding year only.  The candidate may appear privately; those re-appearing for whole examination can also appear as regular candidate if admitted
by the school.
–     For subjects involving practical work, if the candidate has passed the practical examination, he or she will be allowed to appear only in theory part.
–    Only a statement of marks is issued by the Board after the improvement of performance.

Q.5: Is it compulsory to pass in theory and practical exams. Separately?
Ans.: Yes, it is compulsory to pass separately in the subjects involving theory and practical in Class XII.

Q.6: Is a student required to appear in all subjects in improvement examination?
Ans.: No, the student can appear in one or more than one subject(s) as per his/her choice.  However, improvement exam. can be taken only in the successive year of
passing Class XII exams.

Q.7: Is the candidate allowed to see the answer script in case the result is not as per the expectations?
Ans.: No.  There is no provision of showing answer scripts.  The candidate can apply for scrutiny, for reconfirmation of marks.

Q.8 If a candidate passes in the additional subject but fails in one of the main subjects, what will the result show?
Ans.: The candidate will be considered as having passed the examination in such a case.  A language will replace a language only.  For further details the scheme of
examinations can be referred to.

Q. 9: What is the procedure followed in marking the answers?
Ans.: Each answer is divided into steps and marks are given in accordance to the weightage assigned for these steps.  It is advised that a copy of Marking Scheme be
procured to get a clear idea.

Q. 10: Can a candidate simultaneously appear for Improvement as well as Additional subject examination?
Ans.: No, a candidate appearing for Improvement in one or more subjects cannot appear for additional subject examination simultaneously.

Q. 11: How many times can a candidate appear for Improvement examination?
Ans.: For improvement examination only one chance in the succeeding year is permitted.

Q. 12: What is the pass criteria for Class XII?
Ans.: A candidate has to pass in all five subjects to be declared Pass.  However, a candidate is placed in compartment if he/she fails in one subject in Class XII.

Q. 13: Can one appear for additional exam along with the comptt. Exam conducted by the Board in the month of July/August in class XII?
Ans.: Yes, from 2006 Exam. onwards a candidate having six subjects and declared ‘Pass’ by securing pass marks in five subjects can now appear in the failing (sixth)
subject along with comptt. candidates in July/August in the same year.

Q. 14: What is meant by verification of marks?
Ans.: The verification means:
Checking whether all answer have been evaluated,
That there has been no mistake in the totaling of marks for each question in that subject,
That the marks have been transferred  correctly on the title page of the answer book and to the award list,
Whether the supplementary  answer book(s) attached with the answer book mentioned by the candidate are intact,
No revaluation of the answer book or supplementary answer book(s) shall be done.

Q. 15: What is the procedure for re-checking of marks?
Ans.: A candidate can apply for re-checking within 21 days from the date of declaration of results for Main exam. and within 15 days for Compartment exam.

Q. 16: What is the fees for re-checking of marks?
Ans.: It is Rs.100/- for one subject.  The candidate should apply at the concerned Regional Office only.

Q. 17: Can one apply for verification of marks in all five subjects?
Ans.: Yes, verification of  marks can be done for all the subjects on payment of separate fee for each subject.

Q. 18: How long does it take to get verification result?
Ans.: The result is sent by ordinary post within a reasonable period of time invariably between 3-4 weeks.

Q. 19: Do the marks increase after verification?
Ans.: It will depend upon the scrutiny while mostly there is “No change” found.  The marks may increase or even decrease on verification and the candidate will have to
accept the result.

Q. 20: Is a new mark sheet issued after revision?
Ans.: Yes, a new mark-sheet is issued  after the revision whether upward or downward.  The candidate has to surrender  the old marks statement.  In case of
change in marks, the fee is also refunded to the candidate.

215 Responses to “CBSE Helpline : Frequently Asked Questions”

1. respected sir,
    i have to take my admission in BHU B.A PART-1 the date of counselling is 31st july 2010.
    i had given compartment exam of class 12th in computer science. please show my result tommorrow my roll no. is 5780721 VANDANA GUPTA CENTRAL HINDU GIRL’S SCHOOL VARANASI.

2. kumar saurav says:

when cmpt result 2010 released

3. amit says:

sir, i want to know that what can i do. i have failed in compartment exam also.
    please help me.

4. Rohit says:

i m in 12 class.
    i wanna change subject in commerce strem.
    i wanna take c++ instead of maths.
    is this pssible…?

5. Navin surendran says:

Respected sir,
    I received 12th std marklist through SJD on 06/08/2010
    but unfortunatley two subject was failed. So I need revaluation for these subject. pls help me.

Thanks & Regards

Navin Surendran

6. uttam says:

i, uttam hav passed cbse 12th in 2009 and this year in march 2010 i gave improvement exam in all subject bt in math i secure vry poor marks so i want to give again improvement in math exam. Am i elligible to appear in improvement plz reply me soon

7. nishtha says:

SIR,
    I WNNA TO KNOW THAT HOW TO APPLY FOR 2ND CHANCE OF COMPARTMENT EXAM AND PLEASE PROVIDE ME FULL PROCEDURE OF SUBBISION OF FORUM WITH LAST DATE AND PLEASE TELL ME FROM WHERE I CAN APPLY FOR PRIVATE CANDIDATE AND ABOUT FORUM AND LAST DATE AS I M IN 12TH N NOT WNNA TO WASTE MY TIME ….
    PLEASE GUIDE ME ….

8. manoj says:

re verification ka result aaega maine 6aug ko bheja tha

9. GAJENDER says:

SIR,
    PLEASE HELP ME ….ACTUALLY I WANT TO KNOW THAT WHAT IS PROCEDURE OF TO CHANGE OF DATE OF BIRTH AS RECORD MY DOUGHTER IS STDUY IN CLASS X GOVT. GIRL SE. SEC. SCHOOL I HAVE BIRTH CERTIFICATE DATE IS 30-06-1994 ACTUEL BUT SCHOOL RECORD IS 30-06-1995 I MEET PRENCIPAL IT IS NO POSIBAL CHANGE PERIMARY SCHOOL CALLS 5 AS PER RECORD WHAT IS THE SOLUTION SAJATION.
    THANK`S

10. fathima says:

sir/madam,
    The last yrs. question paper of business studiess of 2008 & 2009 in not available in your site plz can u update the site fast I want it fasttt?????

11. pooja says:

I WANT TO KNOW U DECLARE 10TH RECHECKING RESULT WHICH WAS ON 17JULY………I HAVE RE-COMPARTMENT MATHS……

12. Utkarsh says:

My parents are transferred from rewa to jabalpur and i had changed the school, both of my schools are affilated with CBSE board!
    If i wish to give 10th boards this year , will i be able to continue in CBSE next year?

13. Garima says:

I am class 10th student and doing cce system.Now school authy informed that if any one want to appear for board exam can go for it.Different Teachers are giving different views about opting for cce and board exam. Many students are in dilemma what would be better for them and simultaneously having apprehension that they may be judged inferior or superior, if they opt for board or cce. Please clarify the point above.

14. SIDDHARTH SINGH says:

Sir,
    this is siddharth Singh, may name in my 10th marksheet is printed as siddharth singh and in 12th as siddharth ashutosh singh as my fathers name is ashutosh singh.
    Hox can i get it corrected.?

15. ankit garg says:

hi i am ankit garg plse send 2nd aatempt form available and last date form plse send me immediately

16. amansaini says:

i amansaini.
    i have passed my 12th class in commerce strem in 2008..i have got 43 percentage.. now i want to give impovement
    exam ….as per job criteria they need minimum 50% in 12th stnd…so please advice me can i give exam again or not….
    your’s faithfully aman

your urgent assistant needed

17. hani says:

i am doing 10th in 1999. i want to give additional paer of art ..tell meis it possible?

18. shashwat says:

i am taking cbse board in 10 class can i continue in cbse for  next year?

19. uthara says:

respected sir,,,,
    nw i’m in trouble…. the thing is that i couldn’t perform well in my fa1 ,,,is there a solution..that i can write the retest ????

20. uthara says:

i wish to take science group next year,,,,but my marks are average
    and couldn’t do well in maths,,,,,nw every body discourages that i’ll hav to opt commerce group rather than opting science group

21. uthara says:

what shall i do????

22. Aditya Sahu says:

Hi
    Friends I’m in Class 12 and i’m a weak student from maths side please help me for scoring good marks in physic and give me tricks for the study i’m too thank full to you Please give answer as soon as possible

23. Hiii, i am shivendra studying in class ix, i  want to download cbse sample paper 2nd term , but its  not getting download ,if any body has solution plz let me know.

24. GK Bhardya says:

Sir,my daughter is in 10 std.she has taken local board examination(cbse).i have a doubt that whether she can change the school after 10 std?

25. jaspreet says:

sir, i want to give the 10th cbse exams which are going to start on 3rd march but i haven’t got roll no. yet because i am living in italy please its really important can u tell me that i can got roll number or not

26. Ankush says:

sir,i want to know that a student fail in one subject in 12th class than he/she not fill the forum during the period of fillup the forum then they can’t fill the form with submision late fee.

27. Ankush says:

Sir,i want to that i have pas my 12 clas and cmpartment in one subject and i am not fillup the compartment forum in december because some region than i can fillup the forum after the last date of forum filling either not please give some suggestion for this

28. heena says:

i wnt 2 knw dat der r 6 sub in my skul is dere some choice 2 include only five in my marksheet or all of them will hve 2 be displayed do tell as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. javed says:

sir i applied for cbse improvement exam for math in class 12 but i have not recieved its datesheet and admit card

sir plz help me its urgent…………………..

30. manoj says:

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  ;  its  manoj from raipur in 12 class . i want know that in cbse , n.c.e.r.t  question will come or not . please give answer as soon as possible.

31. Arif Mohammed.H says:

Hello Sir/Madam,
    I am writing this after my Physics Exam on +2. I think I am not going to pass this exam. so i need to know more about compartment exam and also the final result on +2 certificate. I have 6 subjects and I am much confident that I will pass other subjects with greater marks. If i got passed physics by compartment then is there any spot on my certificate that ‘passed by compartment exam’ or something else. Is it better for appearing a compartment exam or an improvement exam.
    reply me on…..
    arif143@rocketmail.com

Because i am in a tension of fear…..plz help me…

32. Amanpreet kaur says:

i just wan to know that can a student change his/ her school after +1…..?

is it compulsory to complete +2 in the same school ?

33. shona george says:

sir i had cleared my class 12th exam in 1988 from CBSE board.I had Science but without maths as subjects. I wish to appear for my commercial pilot’s licence for which maths is compulsory.Is it possible for me to appear only in the maths paper now and if so,what is the procedure

34. satyam says:

plz give me a list of useful,legible and good reference books according to latest cce pattern of cbse of maths, physics, chemistry, biology, english, geography, economics,history.plz rply me as fast as possible.

35. jasbir says:

i had pass my 10th class in the year of 1988 from cbse board now i am working in a cbse aff. school.That time i got 26 marks in english ,the board issue me the pass certificate.my question is …. Is this failure is count as a compartment in these days? plz. tell me the passing rules of the year of 1988-89. plz. help

36. jasbir says:

sir, Is it to possible for me to appear only in english paper now, if so what is the procedure .

37. nayan says:

SIR,
    i hav appeared class12 improvement exam on 2011 .
    i has got passed in the first attempt itself but got less marks….
    my doubt i that if i got less marks in the improvement exam than what i got in my first attempt
    Then which mark will be taken as my mark in the mew mark sheet???

38. Ayushi says:

do i have to compulsorily pass in additional subject?

39. kapil says:

respected sir/mam , i had given 12th class exams this very year and i m fully sure that i will not get more than 55% in exams . sir/mam please tell me criteria for improvement exam, when these exams are gone’o held.what is syllabus and should i need to consult my school principal. right now i m fully tensed. please reply me as soon as possible

40. ronti says:

can i give physics chemistry and maths compartment exam if i fail in cbse class 12?

41. suresh says:

My daughter has passed CBSE XII baord in 5 subject but failed in maths.But she has done the maths exams well.Will ther be change in the marks upwards if we go for rechecking

42. suresh says:

My daughter has passed CBSE XII board in 5 subject but failed in maths.But she has done the maths exams well.Will ther be change in the marks upwards if we go for rechecking

43. karanpal singh says:

dear sir/madam
    m failed agian in 2nd chance of compartmental exam for physics,,,,,now plz tell me tha procedure how to apply for 3rd chance,,,,nd what is da exam date,,,,,plz rply me soon,,,thankx u sir/madam

44. karanpal singh says:

dear
    sir/madam

45. rahul says:

sir i got failed in 12th this year.which i never thought
    i was thinking to get a min. of more than 70 marks in phy and chem.
    as i saw my result i  get shocked.
    i was failed in both theory and my practical marks out of 30 was just 11.
    nd got failed in  thoery in both phy and chem.
    how can it be
    i dont know wat to do..i m confused
    i dnt wnt to waste my year
    i m realled feeling very low after this..pls help..i dnt want ot waste my year.

46. rahul says:

sir whn the compart form coming.

47. rahul says:

sir i got compart in maths whn thè maths compart exm held pls sir tell me….and hw the paper is coming of compart exm.

48. akansha says:

respected sir/madam,
    I want to know the procedure for filling up the compartmental form 2011. I appeared in 12th boards exam 2011 but i failed to clear my maths exam.So, i want to appear for the compartmental exam but i dont know about the form filling procedure.I am from patna region and our results was declared on 27th may,2011.So, i also want to ask that my compartmental exam 2011 i.e for patna region will be same as those of all over India??
    I will be highly obliged if i will get my answer soon. Thank you.

49. NAVDEEP says:

sir,please tell me how many attempts allowed for giving supplementary exam in class 10th and when will be the exam conduct???

50. ajit says:

I have already been applied for re verification of mark , now how can i know the status of the mark ?. Please give the online procedures .
    Thanks